Monday 2 June 2014

Back blogging with a different name


I have come back to Brittany to find that I am unable to log in to post on my usual blog, www.livingin22.blogspot.com.  After a day of trying to pretend I understand technology, I have given up and have set up another blog www.livingoutmydaysin22.blogspot.com and this is what this posting is on and what I shall use for the foreseeable future unless someone sorts out the situation for me.  I have no photos in this posting as I just wanted to get it out there.
Most of May seems to have been spent getting ready for going on holiday.  There was so much still to do in the veggie garden.  My worker finally got the new edging round the raised beds in front of the barn and I planted out sweetcorn, radishes, parsley, tomatoes, chives and squashes .  In the polytunnel I finally got all the beds weedfree and planted out the indoor tomatoes, aubergines and chills.  In the back raised beds I added to the already planted veggies, butternut squashes and courgettes.  The broad beans are coming along a treat, as is the mustard which I have never grown before.  The rhubarb had to be disturbed when putting in the new edging and is still recovering.  I had already had so much and sent visitors away with armfuls too, it will soon be doing well again.
My pet/garden/house sitters, Steffi and Peter, from Germany arrived the day before I went back to Cornwall.  They were absolutely charming and I knew that I needn’t worry about anything in Brittany while I was away.  They stayed on for another day after I returned and we sat outside under the pergola for the evening with a glass of wine and some lemon cake Steffi had made, and talked about what we’d all been doing during the past two weeks.
I had been off to Lanzarote with my oldest son, daughter and grandson.  I had previously been to Tenerife so had some experience of the Canaries and knew that it would be pretty windy.  It was not as sunny as it might have been, with thick white cloud cover, but it was very warm, usually around 24°C.   We sat together on the flight over but coming back were all dotted around the plane, strange the way RyanAir do things, but we weren’t going to pay £10 each for the privilege of a prebooked seat each time we got on the aircraft.  We left the Discovery at a hotel car park and were shuttled to Bournemouth Airport and back.  Once we’d arrived in Arrecife we collected the prebooked car and drove to our villa.   The accommodation was a very pleasant surprise, being well presented and obviously newly built with few previous occupants.  It had everything we needed including a pool and three ensuite bedrooms and wifi.
I had a couple of days in Cornwall visiting friends and shopping before coming back home again.  It’s so lovely to be back!  I miss the animals and just being where I like to be.  All the terrace pots which went outside just before I left for England have all filled out and are looking lovely.  The vine is romping along the walls of the houses and the roses are blooming.  I am trying, for the moment, to ignore the weeds which seem to be doing well too.
The fox has been visiting while I’ve been away and all six twelve week old chicks have been taken and two older hens.  The new little chicks are thriving and it seems that two of the three Orpingtons are cockerels.  I'm just hoping that the lone Araucana turns out to be a female.
Three things I like:
1.   Being back home again.
2.   Getting a 'phone call from my New Zealand based October pet sitters this morning.
3.   The two bowls of prawn bisque I made yesterday.

 

No comments: