Sunday 28 June 2015

Pain in the bum news, lots of visitors and beautiful weather

First the moany bit.  The last weeks weren't so good from a news point of view.  I was booked in for a colonoscopy and immediately afterwards received the verdict from the consultant, subject to biopsy results, that I had anal cancer.  I didn't need the results, I had felt that there was more to the very uncomfortable feeling I had than just a polyp.  I returned for the results with my oldest son who was visiting Brittany with friends.  The biospsies confirmed cancer of the anus.  I was told that depending on the depth of the tumour I would be treated by radiotherapy or by surgery, the latter almost certainly resulting in a permanent poo bag.  I had already been booked in for an echoendoscopie and an MRI.

On Thursday last I had the echoendoscopie (ultrasound up the bum) and afterwards the operator said that the tumour appeared to be only 5-6mm deep and that if the MRI confirmed this dimension then I might well get away with radiotherapy and not surgery. The MRI will be done this coming Wednesday, 1 July and the results will be told to me, with the suggested treatment, on 3 July when I return to Guingamp Polyclinic.  

Meantime I seem to have had a problem with my chest.  Initially I had thought I'd received an electric shock while lying on my ribcage fixing the pond pump.  Two days later the pain was bad in my last rib and I thought I may have cracked it.  Later my breathing became more difficult and I got radiating pain from the sternum area.  When I related all this to the consultant dealing with my cancer decided to send me to Guingamp hospital for a CT scan.  I had this on Friday last and it seems that there was nothing to untoward to see so that is good news.  Certainly my breathing is easier now and it only hurts when I lie on my front.

My oldest son, Matthew, and three friends have been to stay.   Their visit overlapped with a visit from my friend, June, and we were lucky to have incredibly good weather so we spent lots of time in the garden talking and drinking.


This was one evening at the Pizzeria in St Nicolas du Pélem.














This is our last lunch together in Roscoff before the boys caught the boat back to Plymouth.  

Here are Lesley, Fraser, Matthew and Brett on the long bridge at Roscoff - we had a lovely few days.




The garden has been lovely this month


This is a trough I bought from friends who were leaving Brittany.  I filled it with bedding plants from B&Q which I brought back with me in April, and some herbs at the far end.  It is huge and took 375 litres of compost!













Poppies outside my sitting room window




I've been collecting lots of seed heads for me to sow and for friends who always ask when they see how beautiful the poppies are here.


Roses on the pergola by the pond.  They aren't climbing so I have to tie them into the post.

On Thursday, June and I drove up to Dinard Airport stopping in the morning at Lamballe for the market and lunch.





















Then we spent the afternoon on the promenade at Dinard, people watching, having a glass of wine and deliciously cool icecreams.  It was a gloriously hot, sunny day and a lovely way to make a journey day into something nice.



A tiny, tiny bird who I found on the ground outside the utility cottage.  It seemed unhurt but died about ten minutes later.  I'm not sure what type of bird it was.



My first Workaway of the summer, Leyslie from Las Vegas, but with French and US nationality, arrived at Guingamp station on Friday and is now working clearing nettles in the animal areas.  Hard work in this very hot weather - most days are now reaching almost 30°C and very little in the way of a cooling breeze.  Apparently next week will be heatwave weather so watering will become a priority.   When Leyslie leaves I have a couple of Irish Workaways arriving for ten days, so lots of help in the next few weeks.

Three things I like:

1.  The written and verbal support I have received from friends who know about my current health situation.
2.   The incredible wall to wall blue skies and very hot sunshine which I am enjoying while reading books.





3.   Having so many visits from friends and family this month.

3 comments:

Vera said...

We are expecting high temperatures next week as well ( region 67, down near the Pyrenees mountains), so it looks like we are going to be watering next week!

Sorry to hear about the cancer,,,,,,,,I hope that it can be fixed for you. I shall keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Vx

Millymollymandy said...

I sincerely hope you don't have to have surgery, and will cross everything that radiotherapy will kill off the tumour. I can't bear to see anyone else have to go through hell too - I have another friend (virtual) who was diagnosed with rectal cancer the same time as me. It feels like it's bloody catching. :-(

Anyhow that's my moany bit over - great to see you having fun with friends and family, and the garden and poppies look lovely. I wonder if that's a Chiffchaff? They are very small. Hard to tell, poor wee thing. xx

Millymollymandy said...

Testing testing 123 :-)