Saturday 23 July 2016

Summer has arrived in St André

Phew! what a hot week it's been in St André!  I am a true sun-worshipper but even I had to retire to the shade to read a book on Wednesday.  Even with the pool to dip in whenever it got too much I found the steps too arduous to climb and resorted to spraying myself with the hose, once I had let the first 20 seconds of boiling hot water out of its coiled length.  It was 33°C in the shade and the house, with doors and windows open to the light breeze, reached and stayed at 28°C for much of the day.  Nighttime saw an oscillating fan located at the side of my bed to move the air around and make it seem cooler.  

My latest Workaway, a lovely Dutch girl, Mimi, worked mainly in the morning to avoid the highest temperatures and managed to clear barrowloads of weeds in both the flower and veggie gardens.  She was pleasant and interesting and enjoyed playing the piano in Middle Cottage once the guests had left after the weekend.  

We went to Bon Repos last Sunday, the first time this year I've visited the market and sat down to people watch with a drinks in our hands.  There were three English musicians playing Boogie and other good stuff and then an English woman stood up to sing too.  It was a beautiful weather morning and we had a couple of drinks before ordering a light lunch. 





We walked around a local Chapel in Le Guiaudet so I could see where I would be going this evening to a harp concert.  The bell tower has nine bells!  


































Mimi left yesterday to travel and meet friends in Dinan.  Tomorrow I pick up two French girls who will be here to help me for a week or so. 

































Everything, inside and outside the polytunnel has been growing like mad.  Mimi picked a large bowlful of gooseberries which I turned into jam the following day.  Twelve jars at the final count.


We went to a Fest Noz at Bourbriac last Saturday starting off at a bar where my friend Maggie's son, William, was playing guitar with his friend, and then they went dancing before the fireworks to celebrate Bastille Day.


















Some time ago I was interviewed about my weight, loss on the 'phone, for a small article in an English language newspaper, The Connexion, published in France.  I haven't had the original paper yet, but here is a photo which my friend, Dave, sent me.  Fame at last!


The great weather has meant that I have raced through this month's book group books which are these.  I always find it so easy to read out in the sunshine whereas in the winter the television distracts me.  I enjoyed both books and would recommend them.


I also read


This was very amusing and I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

Three things I like:

1.   Summer finally arriving!
2.   Getting the weeds under control.
3.   Being able to have a dip in the pool whenever I feel like it.

No comments: