Wednesday 26 April 2017

It was a busy few weeks trying to get things together before I took my trip back to Cornwall for my 6 monthly dental visit, hair cut, annual eye test and my 70th birthday celebrations.

First of all my bee keeping friend, Lorna, came round to help me do the first inspection this year of my four hives.  We had to put off the first arrangement as the weather became too cold to open up.  When we did do it, the sun shone and it was pretty hot inside our suits and veils.  I was thrilled to find that all four hives were filled with hone and brood and ready to have the first super put on.  I couldn't believe how heavy with honey the frames were as we took out them out and looked for queen cells which needed to be removed to prevent swarming.  I am indebted to Lorna for her expertise and moral support.  It all went well and I was so happy to find so many bees were in residence.  Since then I've set up two more hives and am hoping to get bees in them very soon. 



I have been planting out some of the seedlings from the trays in the polytunnel. Perpetual spinach, broad beans, lettuces and salad leaves, squashes have all been released to the ground and bought in strawberry plants given space in the polytunnel.  Still more to go out when it's warmer and more seeds to sow on my return from Cornwall.  

I have blueberry bushes and two fruit trees to plant when I get back, but am still deciding exactly where to put them so they don't shade anything and don't get eaten by the sheep. 

Martha, who gave birth to Raoul on 6 March, gave me a shock when I found her prostrate and face down in the grass one morning.  My neighbour, from a sheep farming family, said she was too far gone to get the vet.  She carried her to a secluded part so the others couldn't see her and I visited her throughout the day.  There was no change and I had begun to consider asking a local farmer to put her out of her suffering.  I did one final check when I put the birds to bed and she had raised her head a little.  I'm not sure how, but somehow I managed to carry her to the Land Rover and get her into the back.  When I arrived home I didn't have the strength to carry her again and used a wheelbarrow to get her into the sitting room.  I called the vet and he suggested I gave her sugar dissolved in water.  My alarm was set for every 2-3 hrs and I syringed water into her mouth each time I woke up.  There was no change.  At 07.30hrs I got up for good and came downstairs to find her with her head held high and she struggled when I gave her the syringe.  Later in the morning while friend were having coffee in the kitchen end we suddenly heard her "Baa, baa" which was the best sound I'd heard for a long time.  Another hour or two and she suddenly stood up!  I called the vet and he said to put her back on the field which I did.  Raoul was so pleased to get his Mum back and I kept checking every hour but there was no need as she was fine.  I have no idea what had happened but am so glad she's fine now.



I bought in two thirteen month old females so that I can definitely have some lambs again next year, as Lisa failed to produce this year so won't be around after October.  The new girls are now named Rebekah and Rachel and are Shropshire crosses with black faces and very sturdy.

Going back to England was a stressful journey as the Land Rover had little or no power going up hills and was vibrating badly.  I limped to Roscoff and came over on the Pont Aven to Plymouth.  The journey from there was a nightmare as there are so many hills and finally the vehicle gave up.  Luckily it was just after a sign saying "Free Recovery from this point".  A Highways man called the breakdown truck.  They are only liable to take you to the end of the diversion but a greased palm worked the magic so they took me to my son's mechanic based in Par.  Matthew met me to unload all the stuff I carry back and forth on these journeys.  The vehicle wasn't ok for me to return home so I had to buy another. Since then it has been fixed and Matthew will bring it over when they all come in June.

My 70th birthday fell on Wednesday, 12 April and I had a lovely day.  Starting just after midnight Matthew presented me with a beautiful armful of wrapped flowers. 




I seemed to have a pile of cards to open and Brett had brought me the biggest box of chocolates I have ever had plus three bottles of cider blended with different fruits.  The three of us went for lunch at Trenython Manor which was lovely.



In the evening ten of us went to The Trewithen in Lostwithiel.  It was a great evening!  We had private room for the meal and here we all are round the table, clockwise, Sheila and Paul, Val and Colin, Brett, Sean, Josh, Philippa, Matthew and me.  The company and the food were excellent.  Thank you to everyone who made my birthday so special.



Three things I like:

1.  Celebrating my birthday in Cornwall with great people!
2.  Coming home to find the housecarers had done a brilliant job.
3.  Having a stress free drive back in the Volvo after the dreadful trip getting to the UK.

No comments: