Monday 20 October 2014

Back to England and Kerien Horsefair


Well, I finally managed to get back home to Brittany after a trip to England which was equally difficult and great.  I spent three nights with friends, Sheila and Paul in Cornwall, then three nights back in Gloucestershire for the first time for years and then back to Cornwall to stay with   The difficult part involved many hours over two different days waiting in garages for things to be done to the Land Rover, still not fixed properly but just enough to get me back.  I am now waiting for a part from England which was on a ten to fourteen day delivery period.  The great bits were having all the family together for the first time in a while, staying with Sheila and Paul, and seeing more family and friends in Gloucestershire after so many years while staying with friends, Lesley and Roy.  I then returned to stay with Oli and Emma for a couple of days.  My younger grandchild, Mia, is now walking and a delight and it was lovely to spend time with my older grandchild, Charlie, who seems so grown up nowadays at seven and a half.  Here we all are together at a Charlestown restaurant - photo taken on a friend's 'phone in dim lighting. 
 
 

I drove straight from the restaurant to Plymouth and managed to miss the boat I should have been on. I returned to St Austell to sleep back at a family house for the night.  The following day I managed to get on the afternoon boat and drove back to Plymouth, this time managing to get there in time and actually board.  The crossings both ways were rough.  Luckily I don’t seem to be affected by the rolling motion except when trying to walk a straight line on the way to the shop or my cabin. 
When I arrived back in St André at 11.15pm I did over an hour of unloading and unpacking.  During the early hours of the morning, when I couldn’t sleep, I came down and put the washing in the machine and later hung it up on the kitchen ceiling airer where it continued to dry in the heat from the woodburner.  I love my woodburner.  The moment the cats know that it is lit they come into the house and bask in the warmth, usually on the table I have in front of my chair with the laptop on it or in the fabric covered boxes on the floor next to the hearth.  Saturday morning was taken up with unloading the rest of the Land Rover and trying to find homes for all the stuff I'd brought back.
If the company in England was good, the weather was dreadful while I was there – rain, rain and more rain, oh and mist too.  I did manage to take one good sunset while I was there and an atmospheric view from Sheila and Paul's house too.





















I don’t think my New Zealand housesitters had anything much better here.  So - we were lucky on Saturday afternoon that it was dry and sunny for the Horsefair at Kerien.  

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




My housesitters, Wendy and Patrick and I really enjoyed it.  Lots of horses, mules, donkeys, goats, hens, pheasants, quail etc.  I succumbed to four little chickens and we each shared carrying the box that they were in.
 
Many clothes and food stalls, horse shoeing, a brass and wind band and so many people.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
On arriving home we put the new arrivals in a separate unused house and run and added a Frizzle cockerel who has been lonely since his partner was taken by the fox.  I hope they all get on in their new home and don’t fight too much while settling in.

 
 
 
 
 
 
I started this book on the ferry going over to England and finished it on the journey back. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





It was brilliant and unfortunately the only book written by the author, Mary Ann Shaffer, now dead.  Due to her ill health it was finished by Annie Barrows.  The book has the unlikely title of “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society” and the story takes place in the first nine months of 1946, after the end of the German occupation of Guernsey during the second world war. 

It’s both a funny and poignant book and I heartily recommend it to any and everyone.  One of those books that you want to finish but hate it when you don't have it to read anymore.  I am now part way through a very simple and gentle book "An Otter on the Aga" written by Rex Harper. 

Three things I like:

1.   Being back home again and seeing all the animals had been well cared for in my absence by my lovely house/pet sitters.

2.   Having beautiful weather with real heat in the sunshine for the whole of the weekend.

3.   The lovely pea and ham soup I had for supper, made with the gammon from Heligan Farmers' Shop which I cooked yesterday. 

No comments: