Saturday 19 March 2016

Chicks, veggies and better weather

The weather has moved on, thank goodness, and we have had several dry days in a row. Not only dry but actually sunny and pleasant enough to sit out and talk to the hens and duck on the field or to enjoy a drink on the terrace - I can almost believe that Spring really will be here soon.

This warmth has encouraged the seeds I have sown in the polytunnel and there are lots of green shoots in most of the trays. 







The tiny lettuce plants are growing and my purple sprouting broccoli is continuing to provide me with delicious plates of gorgeousness. Leeks and beetroot planted last year are still going great guns and now the rhubarb is sufficiently long to pick and simmer to luscious tenderness.  I love this time of year.



Martha and Lisa have each given birth to a ram lamb.  Lisa's lamb is an enigma as both she and the Daddy, Ricardo, are large white sheep, yet her lamb is a small black Ouessant type, as Martha's is but then Martha is a small black Ouessant - the indigenous Breton sheep.



The seven chicks born on 11 February are thriving and now enjoying the barn and field. This week I've had more eggs hatching in the kitchen incubator and so far the count is up to twelve with possibly one more egg looking as if a chick may emerge.  






They are so fluffy and round - I just love them!

Two donkeys in the lane whom I saw on the way back from Bowls 



and a very full stream along the side of the road.



A cow and some gorse in my hamlet in the sunshine.
















I have a fairly good sized duck pond but for some reason Domy likes to wash and enjoy herself in an old bath which is really for collecting water to irrigate the veggies.



Having aperitifs and a serious conversation with neighbours in St André.



One thing we didn't discuss was the American elections.  I sometimes wonder what the collective IQ of the US might be?  Horrifyinging to think that this ignorant man just could become the most powerful man in the world.

Apart from the seed sowing, lots of planting has been going on in both the garden and veggie patch during the last few weeks. I've planted onions, shallots, garlic, broad beans, thyme, a fig, a plum tree, a cherry tree, a thornless blackberry, raspberry canes and lastly,  these strawberries, in prepared pallets in the garden.


I am used to large eggs, obviously the goose egg at the right back is big - 152g - but I was amazed at the size of one of the hen eggs this week, front centre, which weighed in at exactly 100g!  I presume it will be a double yolker, but will probably blow it to be able to keep the shell.  I have blown ten goose eggs so far this year and have another ten in the rack waiting for some time to spend on doing them.  I have a decoration idea which I found on the internet - watch this space - one day!



My first two hives with bees will, hopefully, arrive during the Easter weekend, via a new friend who lives locally and who is an experienced beekeeper.  I will be going to my first class at a garden centre in Loudeac on Easter Saturday.  Getting excited now!

Three things I like:

1.   The warmer and drier weather.
2.   The sounds of cheeping in the kitchen.
3.   Receiving a pile of English newspapers from English neighbours who have a holiday home in the hamlet.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you have been well busy hope out 7 acres not attached to our house unfortunatly will be a mass ive veg and animalgarden

Unknown said...

My field is about 200 paces from my home. It would be good to have it attached but at least the cockerels are up the lane away from the houses in the hamlet! I couldn't manage without my Workaways who come and help me.

Vera said...

Your smallholding is looking good, especially your vegetables.....we are involved with getting the field fencing sorted out and have got behind with our veggies but hope to catch up soon.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Vera. Yes, it's difficult to fit all the different jobs in isn't it? I had to have more fencing put in to protect the beehives coming this week from the sheep walking into them. As I'm on my own I have to get people in to do these more structural things unless I have helpers here, but at least it means I'm not spending my time on it.

Paul said...

Fascinating to see all the new vegetables coming through, its all very encouraging and inspiring, might get a poly tunnel myself!
all the best
Paul