Sunday 1 May 2016

Bees, bees, bees and other happenings in St André

Yet another six weeks has zipped on past and I see that I didn't manage to get anything into this blog in April.  Not sure where the times disappears to but I never seem to have much of it spare.

I had a surprise call from the daughter, Fiona, of an old friend at the beginning of April.  I used to babysit her years and years ago and had only seen her once since she was a child - she is now 50! although she certainly doesn't look it.  She, her partner and two dogs arrived to stay for a night and it was lovely to see her again and reminisce.


On 5 April my first two bee hives arrived, courtesy of collection by Johannes from the Lanrivain end of my lane.  He has Warré hives and so is used to dealing with bees in transit.  These are the usual French Dadant hives and I was so pleased to see them in the designated area which is fenced off in the corner of the sheep field.  

A new bee friend, Lorna, came and gave her help and expertise the following two days, as we dealt with hives which were really in poor condition.  The grey hive has almost no bees and certainly no queen.  The vendor should be ashamed the way he has kept these hives, never mind selling them on to a new keeper.  We went shopping and bought new perforated baseboards, crown boards and other bits and pieces which have almost all been incorporated into the hives.  I was stung twice on the left foot having soft boots on instead of wellies, not a mistake I will make again.



As I usually do, I returned in early April to Cornwall to see the family and celebrate my birthday, 69 this time.   I stayed with Matthew, my oldest son - he gives up his ensuite room for me - there are advantages in being old!


He has been doing major construction work at his new home and I am really proud of his achievements.  His friends have been working hard there too - although here is a relaxing moment.



































My daughter's main pressie to me was my first bee related item for the house, a beautiful jug covered in bees, which has pride of place on my dresser.  Later in the week I found a beehive honey pot in a charity shop and couldn't resist it.  


I had a busy but good week there with lots of eating out and in, seeing friends and working a little on my daughter, Libby's new allotment.  


The weather was kind and when I returned to St André my tulips on the terrace had come further into bloom and were making a wonderful show.  I just love this colour.




A couple of weeks ago, I managed to contact a couple, Alan and Jane, near the north coast who thought they would have a nucleus for each of my new bright pink painted hives.  They came down on the last Saturday in April, bringing the bees with them and lots of advice and help.  

I was extremely jealous of Jane's beautiful pink beesuit - I had no idea it was possible to buy this colour.


I can't tell you how much I enjoyed spending most of the day working in the hives and watching the bees going about their daily tasks.  Quite a few of them had pollen on their legs so they are already managing to find suitable flowers.  There are lots of dandelions and celandine out on the verges and fields so they should be fine as more and more come into bloom with each warmer day.  I spent the rest of the day cleaning off a honey super ready for painting and gave it three coats of paint along with another new bare wood super.


I have been painting supers ready to go on top of the brooders and this morning I painted the wooden part of the roof on the blue hive as it hadn't been done.   Three coats of eco paint done in the early morning sunshine and I'll be able to put it back on the hive this evening.


One of my dearest friends, June, had two heart attacks this week and I was very worried as she went into Harefield Hospital's operating theatre for a stent procedure.  I am glad to report that she was sitting up and smiling soon afterwards and all my worry was for nothing.  I am very grateful to her daughter's for keeping me in the picture.  I do hope she will be recovered well enough to come over for her usual June visit to me.


My lovely Breton neighbours, Ronan and Fanny, had a new baby on Monday this week.  He was nearly 4 kilos, born by Caesarian and is called Nathan.  He joins his two brothers, Nolan and Ewan and this morning I was invited over, with other neighbours, Paulette and Christian, to wet the baby's head with champagne.  I was allowed to cuddle him for most of the visit and he was just lovely.


Glad to report that I have two lots of Workaways arriving this week.  A young Irish couple who will be here for a few weeks and an American girl who is just staying for two days.  I have a long list of things for them all to do and can't wait to be able to cross off lots of items.

I saw the proctologist (bum consultant) last week and he has booked me in for another colonoscopy for 3 June.  This is just to check out the bowel inflammation I have.  I am assured that whatever may be causing it will not be malignant as nothing showed up on the Petscan I had.  I feel well, in spite of the rotten cold I managed to catch in the UK, and seem to have boundless energy again.  Life is good.

Three things I like:

1.   Holding new babies who smell just delightful.
2.   Watching my new bees flying in and out of their bright pink hives.
3.   Making new friends with my new interest in bees.


No comments: