Sunday 8 May 2016

May - warmer weather and things getting done

I'm glad to say I have Workaways here again,  and here they are by the pergola with Gavin who has undergone a bit of a makeover, and not before time.   So here are Ashley from Brooklyn, Gavin from St André, Johan and Charlotte from the UK.  


I think he's looking rather dishy now ...






















Saturday, 7 May was World Naked Gardening Day. Never one to shy away from a challenge - although perhaps I should have done - I was photographed gathering rhubarb - scroll past this bit quickly if you are of a sensitive nature!

It was also the day of a bowls match between my club St Gelven and the other Brittany indoor bowls club at Ploerdut.  I played in a triples match with Mavis and John.  We won our match and I understand that overall St Gelven had the better competition day on this occasion.


In the middle of the week, I had another visit from my two new bee friends, Jane and Alan.  We put honey supers onto the three good hives, marked a queen and they also brought me four, what are hopefully, fertile hen eggs which I have put under two broody bantams in my garden chicken house.  Fingers crossed.

Today was the annual Plant Sale with Crafts at Silfiac.  I took precautions this year and placed three collapsible crates into the back of the Land Rover to prevent soil spillage in case I bought anything.  Lol - obviously I succumbed as usual and came home with cistus, echiums, cotoneaster, wild garlic, Batavia lettuce seedlings etc. etc.  Suffice to say that it needed three trips back to the vehicle during the visit.  I have planted out the lettuce but now have a garage full of plants for the Workaways with me to plant out during the apparently rainy day we're going to have tomorrow.  In fact from the BBC Weather forecast it doesn't look like a good weather week at all for Brittany.  I also met again the American lady who collected my sheep fleeces last year and she will be happy to have them this year too - a little more room in my garage.

I am very pleased to report that my dear friend, June, has returned home and is feeling much better than before she had her stent fitted nine days ago.  It looks as if she may well be on track for her visit to Brittany in June.  I've also just booked the ferry for my oldest son and one of his housemates to come over at the same time as we all get on well and had a good time last year together here.

With the strong arms of the Workaways we went over to friends, Jac and Ken to collect a trailer load of manure to compost down, courtesy of their heavy horse.  Here is Oscar being rewarded for his production!



The watercress dropped into the fish pond in April is growing well and I'll soon be able to harvest it.  It came from a neighbour's stream which is absolutely burgeoning with it and really seems to do well amongst the fish.



One project I am hoping to get underway is that of making an insect refuge for the garden.  I just happen to have the cabinet from a grandfather clock - currently in the barn - and rather like the idea of using that as the outside casing.  It is more than two metres high so I am trying to find the most suitable location for it before starting on the renovation of the cabinet and the construction of the inside compartments.  I am really looking forward to embarking on this and am busy gathering suitable materials to house the various bugs that I hope will be attracted to what will be a very superior dwelling.

Three things I like:

1.   Having Workaways again - the company and so many task being completed.
2.   The trees getting their leaves and my world here turning a beautiful fresh green.
3.   Being able to plant out the veggies which I started off in the polytunnel.

No comments: