Friday 22 August 2014

Dragonflies, Workaway, Fez Noz and Rabbits


Driving along the road back from my bone density scan last week I noticed a sign saying Expo de Libellules.  Libellules are dragonflies and I was hooked. There were no other cars in the car park next to the tiny chapel where the sign pointed, La Chapelle de St Jean du Penity.   
 

There were two workers who told me which path to follow.  It turned out to be a series of twelve posters at various points on a 300 metre path leading back to the car park.   I also photographed a small fountain in the field alongside the exhibition.

 
 
What a bizarre exhibition!
 
The bone density scan wasn’t very good news.  It seems that I am losing bone density at a worryingly fast rate at the moment.  I have lost 2cm in height in just two years and 16% bone density in significant bones.  I see the rheumatologist on Thursday this week to start finding out what the solution might be.
My first Workaway of the year arrived on Thursday.  Alexa, just a little younger than I, has been brilliant.  Together we’ve cleared the weeds in the raised beds on the field, and the polytunnel.  Everything is looking good. 

 
I have planted more seeds in the polytunnel, radish, beetroot, coriander and mixed salad leaves.  We then started on the house garden and that too is looking much better.  I've got more seeds to plant out this week in the cleared beds.













Here are some of my squashes filling out nicely, globe artichoke plants and in the background leeks and strawberries.











Lastly, and by no means least, we have been cataloguing all my books.  This has been a task I’ve wanted to tackle for a long time and I am very glad to nearly have finished.  The only books remaining are those in Small Cottage, currently occupied by guests who leave on Monday.  Alexa is leaving on Tuesday morning, so perhaps we will have time to do them on Monday.  All that will be left undone, hopefully, are all the gardening and craft books – not so important to me.  I have advertised on an expat website the duplicates which we found. 
I have been really grateful for the produce from the veggie beds and polytunnel while she has been here.   This was Friday morning's box for the kitchen.
 
Alexa is veggie and I have been challenged this week to provide interesting meals without a trace of meat.  I was allowed to cook white fish for one meal but otherwise have made a good effort every day to cook something different and tasty just using veggies, fruit, pasta and rice.
I was inspired by a friend, Joy, posting on Facebook that she been making preserves with blackberries and elderberries, and I made three small bottles of fruit syrup,


one of blackberry and two of blackberry with elderberry.  They taste wonderful and I am looking forward to using them.
We went to a Fez Noz at St Mayeux one evening.  It was held outside and the evening wasn’t as warm as it has been lately, but dancing clearly made the participants warmer.  Alexa danced – lots – I played spectator with a glass of beer in my hand.   


As always at these events, the atmosphere was great, with wonderful community spirit.

My cats have been in hunting mode this week and here are two of their victims.



Luckily after a bit of loving from me this little fellow was able to fly off safely from a high wall in my neighbour's garden.

I am happy to report that my three rabbits have now settled with one another and there is no more fighting and chasing, just eating and lying in the sunshine.


They are, from the top, Bridget, Bella and Ruby.

 Three things I like:

1.   Getting so much done with Alexa - she's been great.
2.   Hearing that my friend, Sally, has come through her gastric by-pass operation and is back home again already losing weight.
3.   Baking a brilliant loaf today which I couldn't stop eating!

1 comment:

Paul said...

Hi Sandra, I'm really supprised that your bone density is going down as you seem to eat so well with all the fresh fruits and veggies, local meats and cheeses. I have a scan once a year myself, for my osteoporosis, which got better last year somewhat after nose diving into the danger zone whilst I went vegan for a year. I thought being vegan would help but made things worse. Just curious about your diet as it looks like it tick's a lot of the boxes for calcium.So glad to read about your life in France and attitude to life, to keep posting! Paul