Friday 8 August 2014

Veggies, walking and a wonderful concert


We are now getting into the funny shaped veggie season.  So far I have had two different varieties of tomatoes produce weird shapes. 
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I love this productive time of year.  The lettuces and mesclun are providing me with lots of lovely fresh salad leaves which I dress with my own mix of olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, honey, Coleman’s English mustard powder, salt and pepper.  The radishes are so hot I can’t eat more than two or three at a time. I have been eating roasted aubergines, grown in the polytunnel, halved and stuffed with chopped aubergine flesh, cooked basmati rice, chopped tomato, onion and parsley, grated garlic, sultanas, salt and pepper and lots of cumin.  I then pack homemade breadcrumbs on the tops and drizzle liberally with olive oil before baking them to a delicious goldenness.   

My kitchen is nearer to completion - just the plinths, cornice and pelmet to go now.  Unfortunately, I am short one length of plinth – I must have made a mistake with the order - and that will have to be collected when I next go to England, in October.   After that, the floor will also be sorted, during the winter months when we can’t work outside.  It’s not awful, but it has seen better days and I’d like it to be replaced.  
 
This one of the very few peaches on my neighbour's tree.  The neighbour no longer lives in the village.  His house has been empty for more than a year, so I have my eyes on the few pieces of fruit!
 
 
The swallows have been around in profusion these last few weeks, swooping down low over the garden catching insects on the wing and perching on the wires overhead.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A few weeks ago, we collected a stone cross which had been chucked out and dumped.  I'm not religious but love the shape of it and the moss growing on it.  I've leant it against the wall of the utility house.   The vine growing above it is absolutely loaded with grapes which will be ripe enough to eat next month - it's going to be a bumper harvest this year.
 
 
 
Following on from my walk last Saturday, yesterday I decided to do one of the walks/meals/concerts on a brochure I had picked up from the Tourist Information Centre in St Nicolas du Pélem.  I told my neighbours, Christian and Paulette about it and they decided to join me.  It was good to meet Louise again from Saturday's walk.  As it was not a circular walk, this meant that we parked my Discovery at the finish point before driving back in their vehicle to the start point.  I gave my car keys to Christian as I was worried I might lose them during the walk.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We set off from Chapel Rouellu near St Nicolas du Pélem, which has a rare and noted wheel chime inside which is used during baptisms, weddings and religious festivals. 
 
There were 26 of us setting off including one child, three of the other walkers turned out to be English, holidaymakers in the area.  After about a kilometre Paulette realised that Christian had left the keys to my Discovery in the car at Rouellou - he walked to the car and ended up driving to St Trephine and having a walk alone around there.  One of the English was an RC priest and we had an interesting conversation while walking.  The brambles on the route were more advanced than those in my village and some of them were lusciously-lobed and delicious to eat.  It was very hot and the juice we were offered after arriving at St Trephine was very welcome. 
 
 
 
There was a talk in the church at St Trephine about the wonderful invention of Mr Sax.  Alphonse-Joseph Sax, always known as Adolphe, was born in Belgium and invented all sorts of things as well as the saxophone.  This talk was in preparation for the evening concert.
  
Something to eat was next on the agenda and a good plateful of charcuterie followed by cheese and apple tart went down well with a couple of bottles of beer.

 
I just had to take a photo of this lady all in green, hat, scarf and dress - she reminded me of a book I had as a child where flowers were drawn as people.



The concert started at 2030hrs and the first two performers were young Japanese girls who played duets on their saxophones absolutely brilliantly.  The photo is not in focus but I had to put it in because they played so well.
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Next up were a pianist, violinist and saxophonist who played everything from classical to jazz.  Again a wonderful performance and they played to a completely packed church and a very appreciative audience.  It was a fantastic evening of entertainment based on the saxophone.
 
 
 
Three things I like:
 
1.   The different nationalities I have staying in the cottages - this week Polish and Dutch - all charming and a pleasure to chat with.
2.   The different interests that I am now enjoying here.
3.   Friends coming by to see me - three people so far this week who I hadn't seen for a while.

No comments: