Friday 20 November 2015

The last three months with photos - catching up again

Such wonderful weather for the first part of November, I had some clematis flowers blooming and the nasturtiums were growing madly across the fly screen at the door.  Now it has all changed, temperatures are getting back to normal for this time of year and the  rain has made the mud very slippery at the entrance to the hen/duck/goose fields.


My garden has never been so clear and tidy at this time of the year.  This is due to the brilliant Workaways who have stayed here and helped with everything, particularly, Cora and John from the States who have been here for the last six weeks, including the week I had to return to Cornwall for my tooth extraction.turtiums were still growing madly cross the door fly screen.  For the last week it hasn’t been like that though and the rain has produced very slippery and muddy entrances to the fields.

Back in August, while Libby and Charlie were staying we walked on the bottom of Lac de Guerledan while it was empty of water for maintenance purposes.  It was a bizarre sensation to be walking along the ground in an area where we swim in the summer.  The water is normally up to the level where the grass begins on the top of the banks.  I was amazed how quickly the bottom of the lake became covered in opportunist plants.




There were lots and lots of people walking there and it was a very steep climb up at the point we decided to get out.  I had to be encouraged with lots of pushing and pulling from Charlie and Libby.






They went off to Paris by train from Guingamp for a couple of days and had a very enjoyable time there.  Thank goodness they weren't there during the appalling November terrorist attacks.


In September, Oliver, Emma and Mia also came to stay.  They did the same journey to Paris and again, I am grateful it wasn't later in the year for the same reason.



Here they all are in the inflatable hot tub on the terrace in St André.


















In October, Libby and Charlie drove up to London and stayed with my very good friend, June in Harefield.

They all went off to Legoland together with June's twin granddaughters, Sofia and Ella and had a great time.



The polytunnel continues to house lots of lovely produce, including at the moment, various salad leaves, lettuces and cress, herbs and chilli peppers.  This photo is of the harvest I brought back from the field on 3 October - I love the colours.



Not dressed for an occasion, as you can see, but I only popped in to sell some eggs, and I was surprised being presented with a truly lovely shrub for the garden, Loropetalum Chinense, by my Bowls Club members, because I have been away while I haven't been very well.   I was very touched and happy.


This is a pile of wood gathered from the top lane after a particularly windy night.  My Workaways kept hopping out of the Discovery and loading it up ready for sawing and stacking in the woodshed.  I can't resist a bargain!


Claude tried to worry me last week by being ill.  Unfortunately, although I knew there was something wrong he wouldn't come in and allow me to get him to the Vet until Monday this week.  The Vet discovered lots of ulcers in his mouth and throat and one on the end of his nose.  He apparently had calici virus which is fairly serious.  He got an injection and then a daily gel application for the ulcer on his nose.  He hadn't been eating or washing and smelt terrible, but is now eating well and trying to wash himself again, thank goodness.  This was a photo of him when it was starting, feeling sorry for himself and trying to fit himself into a very tiny box.


I'm glad to say he much more full of life now and a much happier boy.

Three things I like:

1.   Driving everywhere again after being off the road because of not being able to sit comfortably.
2.   Seeing my new hens settling in with the established residents without a problem.
3.   Eating Curly Wurly chocolate/toffee bars which friends have brought back from the UK for me - scrummy!  

7 comments:

Vera said...

Glad you are out and about again, and hope you continue to stay well.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Vera! Fingers firmly crossed.

Millymollymandy said...

I've read both your posts and am so glad you are feeling well again. Radiotherapy sucks. I'm also glad to hear the outcome of Claude's ill health so wish him well - cats tend to recover so much quicker than we do! Good to see you blogging again. xxn

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sandra Chubb said...

Thanks, Mandy. I really do feel like myself again, thank goodness. I hadn't realised that it had been over three months since I had posted on my blog. x

Paul said...

Best wishes .Paul

Sandra Chubb said...

Thanks, Paul. I hope you have a good Christmas and that the New Year is kind to you.